Friday, July 31, 2009

July 24th



This is the day that I took my baby in for his first check up with our new doc. He has been congested since birth and we were getting frustrated with his discomfort and problems eating. The doctor couldn't help much with the congestion, but immediately noticed the shape of James' head and suggested an x ray. This was the first day I'd ever heard the word 'craniosynostosis.'




We took James for his x ray and by the next day we were told his sagittal suture was probably closed, and that he would need a CT scan at Children's Hospital. After Google-ing cranio topics, I was sick. James' head bulges out in the back, just like the pictures posted on hospital websites for sagittal synostosis. He also had almost no soft spot, and a ridge along the top and back of his head. His first pediatric group had told us not to worry about any of it, but it not looked like he was probably going to need neurosurgery. We immediately sent out prayer requests to our dear friends and family.