Thursday, December 22, 2011

Good Morning Songs

My husband practically jumps out of bed in the morning. He's a 4:45am, get up just to see the sunrise, don't miss the best part of the day, are-you-ready-to-go-yet kind of guy. I, on the other hand, am not a morning person. There, I've said it. I try to be, I'd like to be, but I just cannot get my brain in full drive mode before a hot half cup of coffee, either a long hot shower or a frigid splash from the tap on my face, and at least 10 minutes of quiet time in the upright position. Children have their own ideas about when mom should be in full 'go' mode. Most of you know what I'm talking about. If you're fortunate enough to get the children in their own beds (and keep them there), they are undoubtedly awake way too early most days, and at some excruciating hour on the weekends.

So, I've invested in a mother-saving-system. American Innovative calls it the "Teach Me Time Talking Alarm Clock and Nightlight." I think they should have called me for help before they named it. The boys have lovingly dubbed our new nightlight the 'Wake Up Bug.' It's the best part of Christmas week so far. This nightlight-alarm clock thingy actually turns green when it's alright for your kids to get out of bed or come out of their rooms. So, instead of screaming "Moooooommmmyyy, come get me!!!!!" at the top of their lungs, they can now get out of bed at a preset time. When you have two little boys sharing a room and waiting for the 'green light' though, the conversations overheard are definitely rib tickling. The first day they woke up half hour before it turned green.

Is it green yet?
No, not yet.
Ok, pull on my blankie when it turns green.
Where is it?
Up here.
Throw it down.
No! It's mine.
Let me pull on it.
Ok. No, wait, give it back!
Hey, it's GREEN!
Can we get up yet?
I don't know.
Is it singing "good morning?" Mom said it would sing. Maybe we should wait for it to sing. (I never said it would sing!)
No, it's GREEN, let's go.
Where do we go?
This way, get Mommy!

Yes, go, get Mommy. Yes, she's had her coffee, shower, quiet time, and she loves you more than a full gallon of Graeter's Buckeye Blitz. Merry Christmas all, and when your kids wake you up to open presents at 5am, I know you'll be thinking about a wake up bug too. Me, I'll be sleeping in. How long do you think they'll wait?

No comments:

Post a Comment