“Mom, do you have Santa’s address?” So cute, but not what you think…I’ll get back
to this later….
We live in the land of excess. It’s a fact.
If you are an American, you have too much. You throw away more food than some ever
get. We turn on a faucet and have clean, hot water come gushing forth.
That’s luxury. It also makes us
spoiled.
So, when I see some who shun big glittery Christmases, I can
understand. When I read articles about
how to teach your child to ask for gifts of time, or how to get their Christmas
list down to three things, I feel pretty good that maybe we’re not as morally
corrupt as generations before us seem to think we might be. My children know, unequivocally, that we
celebrate Christmas as the day Jesus was born.
But, Santa, well, Santa is here to stay in this house.
You can lecture me about how Santa is a Coca-Cola construct,
or how we’ve moved away from the tradition of Saint Nicholas merely bringing
one nice thing, or filling a stocking, but you won’t change my mind. I’ve wondered, for years, if we were ruining
our children, “lying” to them, letting them think nice things come from
nothing.
Two little boys changed this Mama’s mind. These two boys believe in fairies, and
leprechauns, and seem to believe “Jack Frost” is a real guy out there somewhere
with a giant frozen paintbrush. And they
love every second of it. They are
willing to believe that there are things out there that they don’t fully
understand, and that those things are beautiful and wonderful. They have faith in things unseen.
(I know, this is the part where I get in trouble).
They believe, because they can see “fairy dust” that the
tooth fairy spills. They believe because
they see the frozen patterns Jack Frost leaves. They believe because Santa
leaves them at least one gift that was exactly what they asked for (even in a
whisper). They believe with a sweet faith. If you never believe in anything bigger than
mankind, with the innocence of a child, how do you begin to wrap your head
around something bigger than yourself later?
Where do you get faith muscles?
NO, I’m not saying you must teach your children about Santa if you want
them to believe in God--PLEASE don’t write to me about how blasphemous I
am! I simply think it’s a lovely bridge
into talking about getting things we haven’t earned, and believing in things
that we can’t prove.
This year, for the first time, I heard, “Mom, do you have
Santa’s address?” I figured they’re both
old enough to write actual Christmas lists and letters, my careful and
practical little boy probably wants to make sure we know where to send it
before he goes through all of that effort.
I was wrong. When I asked why, he
said, “Well, Santa makes all of the presents.
He delivers them to children all over the world. And no one sends him any. I’d like to send Santa a Christmas present.” It took me a minute to recover….then we had a
lovely discussion about what we could send to a guy who has everything and
could make anything he wanted to play with or use. We talked about how God gives us everything,
and the only thing we can give him back is ourselves, our love. What could Santa not give himself? He couldn't give himself a drawing that was hand made
by my sweet boy, a piece of himself. (Or twenty such drawings...we're still working on it!)
My little one believes that Santa leaves gifts on Christmas Eve, something he cannot
prove. He is inspired by the selfless
way that Santa gives, and figured out through that inspiration that his heart,
time, and talents are the best gifts he can give. Along the way, we got to have a
discussion about the gifts that God gives.
The case for Santa is a good one, if you can use it to guide young
hearts and not just spoil them rotten.

No comments:
Post a Comment