We are 3.5 weeks post surgery, and James looks absolutely fantastic. All of the bruising is gone, the sore on the back of his head is significantly better, and his suture line is a work of art. Really, some people don't even notice it. A surprising bonus is that he has not been congested in these last few weeks. We will have to see if the cranio surgery opened up his head enough to make room for his adenoids when we meet with the ENT in October.
He is also sleeping, (can I get a HALLELUJAH?!) for the most part peacefully. He still has a hard time with a nap here and there, and nightmares on and off. The nightmares are scary even for us (sweaty, screaming baby), but they seem to come earlier in the night now, when we are still awake. He seems to be returning to his happy little self, slowly, but surely. We even left him in the church nursery this last Sunday and he didn't melt down at all!
I've been reflecting on how well babies recover, versus how their moms and dads do. I was told that James would be just fine in the end, but that we, as parents, would have a lot more grey hair. I don't know, I haven't counted my greys. I do know that in the 6 weeks before, during, and after his surgery, I had an eye twitch that wouldn't go away for a week, insomnia, I developed an ulcer, my hair has fallen out by the handful, and I gained 10 pounds--yes TEN!! Goodness. I can't speak for hubby, other than the fact that he also slept fitfully, and the darkness under his eyes matched mine. As for both of our beautiful baby boys though, they are nearly unfazed. They trust God without even trying. Amazing. Humbling.
On a separate train of thought (I have learned the hard way that it is wise to tell folks when you're going to change the subject)....we're still exhausted, although now it is Big Brother causing us heartburn. Our nearly 2 year old will NOT EAT! Seriously, will not eat: eggs, beans, meat, most vegetables (raw, steamed, fried, dipped, coated, or otherwise), rice, pasta, bread (unless it has peanut butter on it), and most cheese. This is not a phase. He has never eaten these things. It's not like he just decided tonight to be picky. He survives on a diet of oatmeal, peanut butter and jelly, fruit, yogurt and whole grain snacks (like Wheat Thins). We don't let him have something else when he refuses the meal we offer him for dinner, and while he'll cry with hunger all night and wake up ravenous, he will refuse that same dinner the next morning! He has multiple times gone 24 hours without eating anything at all because he refuses to eat what we offer him (we're talking mashed potatoes, carrots and chicken here, nothing exotic). So, I know that there were a number of people reading this, many with children, and I'd invite any advice y'all have to offer at this point. Whether we know you personally or not, if you have a suggestion, recipe or trick, please post a comment. I'm hoping to not lose all of my hair this year!
I can't believe he doesn't eat bagels? See you in a few weeks Chris!
ReplyDeleteDoug Hart
My five year old is our picky eater and has been since day one with rice cereal! I never understood why parents thought it was fun to feed their babies! She is getting better and actually told her friend the other day that she liked broccoli! When she was around three we starting using the timer if she was left at the table by herself. We would give her ten more minutes to finish and if she didn't we would either take something away that she wanted
ReplyDelete(sweets, snacks, movie, toy) or send her to bed. We've tried a lot of different things, and unfortunately it's a work in progress. The timer has been the most effective for us and it still is. Just stick to it, he'll gradually get better. I know she also eats way better when she is fed. Food from mom or dad's plate is always better! Good luck!
Kids do all kinds of things. The more you want him to eat certain foods the more upset you will become when he does not eat it. He likes peanut butter, let him use it as a dip. Put a little on the side of his plate and let him dip his food in it. Gross I know. Some people dip catsup in everything. (eggs, potatoes, beans,corn, etc.) Grandma got Patrick eating different foods that way. It worked! He still dips, but he eats different foods, just with dippin it in catsup. Just make sure he has vitiams, liquid in juice or chewables. He many even like other dips, Ranch, mustard, etc. Try it he might like it.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I am so happy to hear that James is doing so well. And you are right about how remarkable little ones recover.
ReplyDeleteWe are having the same issues with our daughter Melaina. She hardly eats anything for dinner and I never offer her anything else and tell her it is this or nothing. Mine too is just chicken, mashed potatoes and carrots. But one day I was determined to get her to eat a carrot from some homemade chicken noodle soup. We struggled for like 45 minutes and then I got an idea. I gave some to my 9 mo old son (born same day as James) and Asher ate the carrot as it was super soft. Well, I think Melaina got jealous and grabbed a different carrot and ate it right up. Then I went overboard on praising her. Telling her how happy she made me, how good she was, ect. Now, she is still not the best eater but if it is something that Asher can eat and she sees him eat it she wants it too as it must be good. You can try that and see if that helps.
Hope you and your family continue to recover from your summer rollercoaster and that you see God continue to bless you and your family as you continue your walk with him.
Kristine
I'm sure its just terrible 2's time too! So it's even worse..just be consistant in whatever you do choose to do! Isabella, at times, refuses to finish eating..and then wants dessert. So I tell her (how every many) more bits..then you can get up or have dessert. Usually she will finish eating..or will have that many more bits till her food is gone anyway. I've learned that you can't make your child eat. It's a battle you won't win! You just have to figure out how to make it more appealing!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe he went 24 hours without eating! Multiple times! That's some determination!