Thursday, September 3, 2009

Plop Plop Fizz Fizz

Oh what a relief it is to have my mother here! You know how mom just knows how to make it better? I don't know what it is, but moms just seem to have a magical comforting power. James is still not sleeping well (awake from 12am-3am or more), and with the 5 days of sleep already lost in the hospital, I'm beyond exhausted. I'm so happy to have some help with Big Brother and a chance to nap when James naps. Plus, grandma brought the cutest hats!

My prayer today: that I might have faith like this.....Acts 20:24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.

Yesterday I took James out for the first time. We ventured all of 6 minutes away, to the grocery store. I didn't think anything of it, until we got there and while I was pulling out a cart to use, I realized that the teenager re-stocking the carts was staring at us with a horrible look on his face. Now, I'm going to admit that I have always enjoyed that people would stare at my sweet babies and then tell me how cute they were. And of course, to me they both have always been beyond beautiful. But that teen was not the only tacky person at the grocery store yesterday. We received several ugly stares, and one man even looked at me like I had done this to my child. Ugh. I cried. Why can't people be more compassionate? Why can't they just ask what happened, or say "poor guy," or better yet, find something beautiful to comment about, like his great big blue-green eyes?

My spirits were thoroughly lifted when we got home, and Big Brother was there waiting for us. He ran out to the car, yelling "Bro-Bro." He wanted his brother out of the car immediately, and down on the driveway where he could see him. This was it, the moment I'd dreaded. Big Brother looked at James from all angles, carefully, slowly, and then simply said, "Owwww." Then life went on as usual. Big Brother has been very careful, and with one warning, hasn't even tried to touch Bro-Bro's head.

8 comments:

  1. James looks great. All the people who stared do not see the blessing in those "beautiful stitches". I call Lillian's scar a "Miracle from God". It will always remind her how much God has touched her life and how much she means to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the adorable hat from Grandma!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't let rude people get you down (they are everywhere, as you have learned). I'm sure you'll laugh about this someday when the emotional "scars" have healed...
    Love you,
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet reaction to his little brother's owie Thomas had. Kids are so excepting of the differences that we adults see. I'm sure that this will just strengthen the bond between them and Thomas will take care of his little brother and fell even more the "big boy". Take Care! Love, Ruthy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you can always look at the bright side of things... They looked at him and thought that he crashed or somebody fumbled him. They weren't looking at him as if he just had major surgery. That boy must be looking pretty dang good! Great pics and I am glad that he looks soooo great! Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had our share of those looks. Sadly, they have no idea what they are missing by assuming something negative. On a good day, it's another lesson for me in not getting too caught up in what others think of our story. As a side note...that is a freaking crazy cute picture of the boy! Auntie just wants to eat those jowls!
    Hope you have a spectacular time with your Mom.
    Love, Ahdra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did they imply through their looks or did you infer from what you were feeling? Two very similar circumstances but one is very controllable because it comes from within, not without. People are basically good, caring and curious. They can also be shy and unable to broach the questions because of fear that the other might come unglued. I think they meant well but were as worried as you were. That's my take on it.

    Extra kudos for your mom for showing up at just the right time!

    Love you all! F.U.R.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is so beautiful! This is my first time on your site, but you have been in our prayers and you will continue to be. Your response to this is amazing, I can definetly see God's strength in you. Continue to squeeze His hand and He will continue to carry you through.

    ReplyDelete