Friday, August 14, 2009

The Genie in the Noggin'

Our older son will be 2 in October. His favorite toy is his baby brother, and most specifically his baby brother's head. Really, I'm not lying. James is the first thing he asks for in the morning and after naps, and the first thing he does is run and rub his baby 'bro-bro's fuzzy little noggin. You would think someone had told him that if he rubbed the baby's head he'd get three wishes! It occurred to me last night that I have no idea how we are going to explain that this is an off limits activity for several weeks after the surgery. Seriously, weeks is an eternity to a two year old! I suppose if we were really worried about being prepared, we'd start now, telling our big guy that he shouldn't touch the baby's head, but I think it will be easier to explain when he can see the big scar and stitches. I certainly don't want him to be afraid of the way his bro-bro looks after surgery, but there is no avoiding the swelling and bruises and stitches and scar, so maybe we'll look for a cool book about "owies". Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. You may want to think of making one yourself. You could use some pretty paper and your favorite pictures of the boys, even after surgery. It may help Tomas to see himself and his "bro-bro" in their own book. My kids love to make their own books. We use stickers, construction paper and tie it together with ribbon or yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT idea, Ruthy. My coworker made a photo book like that for her two year old when the baby was having cleft palate surgery. It would help Thomas understand now, and would even be a great book to look at again later, when the boys are older. I could help you put it together on the 25th...Kate F

    ReplyDelete