Today we met with Dr.M, and I have to say, I like the man. He was friendly, patient, and calm...'one cool cumber' as some would say. We did have most of our questions answered, and we're comfortable with the recommendations he made. With that being said, here are some details we know now....
Dr. M would like to see the surgery done sooner rather than later. The possible available dates right now would be August 26, August 27, or September 3rd. We should know by this Friday what the official schedule will be.
James is too old (at 8 months!) to do any of the less invasive procedures. Dr. M will do a cranial vault remodeling, which in English means completely taking the skull apart and reshaping it. The doc says he can do it in 2-4 hours. James will definitely need a blood transfusion during or after the procedure (scary!), but Daddy should be able to be his dedicated donor. Most of the remodeling will be done on the top and back of Jim's skull, but the doc will also work on the bones of his forehead to release some of the shaping that has happened from the metopic suture closing. Thankfully, he should only need one surgery to correct his head shape and release any pressure from his growing brain.
However, the surgery will probably not correct his congestion, so we are also scheduled August 17th to see an ENT. We are hoping that the "million dollar" 3D CT scan of Jim's head will be enough detail for them to see the problem areas in his nasal passages that Dr. M saw on the CT, and mentioned to us today. We are also hoping that our little angel won't have to go through more than one surgery in the first year of his life!
We are grateful that James will be ok, but it is difficult not to harbor anger toward Jim's first physicians for their irresponsible actions in ignoring what should have been an obvious problem, even after we pointed out what we now know to be three classic signs of craniosynostosis. We confirmed today that had we brought him in at 2 or 3 months old, Jim may have had endoscopic or strip surgery, which are less invasive, have far less blood loss, and require shorter hospital stays.
Overall, our experience today was a postive one. Each person we interacted with was wonderfully helpful, and our sweet baby did great, even through what should have been his nap time, and even as he had his blood drawn.
PS: For anyone who has tried to post a comment, but couldn't without a google email or special account, I've changed the settings and you should easily be able to post a comment as 'Anonymous'(in the drop down menu). We just ask that you sign your post with at least your first name, because it's wonderful to know who is praying for and thinking of us.
I love you all. You are in my thoughts and prayers. JUst call if iI can do anything,
ReplyDeleteSuch wonderful news that you liked your doctor and that they can do the surgery sooner rather then later. Go glad you found out the next steps and time frames its an answer to prayers!Thanks for changing the settings so we can leave you messages!!!
ReplyDeleteLVU,
Elizabeth & Mike
I'm encouraged by today's update, and am hoping that you can breathe easier knowing what the plan of action will be. Mom and Laura's meditation group will also be sending some healing to James and some calm and balance to you and CY.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Jaime
So glad that you felt comfortable with the doctor and had as many questions answered as you did. We're trusting God to put just the right professionals in your path, and entrusting sweet baby James to the Great Physician.
ReplyDeleteLove you all,
Beth
God is still on his throne. Our prayers and thoughts are with you guys daily. Wonderful news that it can be corrected. So sorry he has to have it done. So glad it will be over soon.
ReplyDeleteLove and Prayers,
Rose Mary & family
God answers prayers...he will for you also. To let you know you are on my prayer list... Friend of Bonnie's----
ReplyDeleteVickie
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteSo relieved to know that you are now in a "move ahead" mode rather than a "hurry up and wait" one. First impressions speak volumes when it comes to medicine - especially with pediatric care. Hang on to that. We will continue to pray for you all and look forward to "smilin' Jim" moving forward with his surgery. Try and take care of yourselves in the meanwhile.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Stacey, Jean and Oscar
I am so sad I missed your call today, but relieved to read that everything went well with Dr. M. I wish I was there to give you a big hug and let you know everything is going to be ok- God is totally in control and will not lead you down a path you cannot handle. You are in my thoughts and prayers! Kiss James' sweet head for me! Much love, brooke
ReplyDeleteYou are in my thoughts and heart all day, every day. As pithy as it may sound, one step at a time is all we can/need to take. I am so proud of you for your wisdom and faith. I am also thankful to all who offer support to you. Please accept all you need; you've so earned it. Love, dad. h.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you have some dates for the surgery. I will add him to my email prayer list.
ReplyDeleteI had just looked at your photos the day before I got your email. The boys are growing so fast. They are so cute.
I love you all.
Jan
Sara I just want to cry for you guys..I'm at work so I have to hold it in :(. Its hard for me not to be angry with your early doctors too and they arn't even mine. What great verses you put in your post before this one. Keep those close to your hearts. I'm glad your visit with the surgeon was positive and that you like him, after all you have to put your baby in his care! We're still praying for you guys. Love in Him, Amy T
ReplyDelete