Thursday, August 27, 2009

Resting

7PM We saw Dr. M again tonight. He is not so sure that James had a seizure earlier today here in the ICU. The problem is, when his system started to freak out (high heartrate, low bp, suddenly flushed and swollen, etc.), they had to act quickly, so they gave him a seizure medication, which shut his nervous system down, which is why he stopped breathing (right in front of us!), then they re-stabilized him and did the CT scan. The CT does not show ANY bleeding on the brain or other reasons to think it was surgery related. The fever he's running is low, so probalby is not the fever either. The good news is, IF it was a seizure, it was possibly just anesthesia related. The bad news is, the seizure medication makes it hard for him to wake up again now.

9:45 James was able to drink some pedialite and a small amount of formula. He is uncomfortable, but resting. His eyes are looking for us when they open (a great sign). He's hoarse from the tubes down his throat twice today, and the respitory therapist says he has some "junk" settled in his lungs. However, he should be able to cough most of it out as he wakes up more. Who knows when that will be? We did get a sleep room (PTL!), so Dad is resting now and Mom will switch with Dad later tonight.

*Just as an aside, every single person who works at this hospital has a heart of gold and are full of more compassion than any 10 people I know.

7 comments:

  1. Longest. Day. Ever.

    Nightie night. Hope all three of you can get some rest tonight. Kate F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are going well, considering the circumstances. We are so happy to hear he is out of surgery and resting! We will keep praying for you all. Please let us know if there's anything we can do. Hope you get some rest tonight! Fireovids

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are being so strong. I'm so proud of you Sara!

    Love you,
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are keeping James and both of you in our prayers and hope that you can get some rest tonight. Pat Foor and Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad it is over and now recovery is on it way. You will see big changes everyday. In a few months when things are back to normal you will be able to reflect upon this.
    Love to all,
    Rose Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that James will be able to wake up in the morning and put a smile on both of your faces. I am praying for all of you and I have not stopped. My heart is hurting for all of you but Things will get better. Love, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish with all my heart that I could be there with you to help, I know theres nothing anyone can do. Please know that we are praying. Love, Ruthy

    ReplyDelete